The other day I felt a lack of energy…I think it was because of the boring winter days we’ve been having lately. Every single day clouds, clouds and more clouds. Not even the cats of the neighbourhood have been climbing the roofs and coming to our garden. It felt quite sad to see the same sky everyday. Yeah, I know my husband always says that I’m so Spanish…and because of that I need sun. It is not true that I always need sunny days, but from time to time it doesn’t hurt.
I’m the kind of person that loves how the days are shorter and shorter in autumn with the beautiful fall sunsets, and on the contrary I seem to find summer plain and sad. Maybe I suffer from seasonal affective disorder, I don’t know. Or maybe I’ve had so many hot days in my life living in Spain… I have no idea. The thing is that a part of me was missing some warm weather and Spanish food… I even was looking at some beautiful places in Barcelona that I’m dying to go in April. YES! I’m going to Barcelona very soon :). I will visit my brother and if there’s time I will see more relatives that live there. Last time I visited Barcelona I was pretty young and I have almost no memories of it.
There’s a very beautiful café there called “El bosc de les Fades” and I can’t wait to go and have coffee. I’ve also checked for a cat café and there’s one!!!!! I still have to make a plan for this trip but definitely I will go to these cafés :).
Regarding the food I was missing it is included gazpacho, pan con tumaca, escalivada, croquetas…and TORTILLA!!!!!!!
So I finished my chamomile tea and I went to the kitchen to prepare the ingredients. It is simple, easy and delicious with only: onion(s), eggs, potatoes, salt and spices.
-1 big onion
-600g potatoes, peeled and sliced or cubed
How to make it
- Peel the potatoes and wash them. With a knife cut the potatoes in small cubes or thin slices.
- Peel the onion and do the same as with the potatoes.
- In a pan add some olive oil and when it is hot fold in the onion first and stir them for 3 minutes. Never let the onion get burned. Once the onion is a bit cooked add the potatoes and cook them with lots of oil. Prevent the potatoes from getting stuck on the pan. Please use more oil if necessary. Also add some salt and other spices that you like.
- When the potatoes and the onion are ready, take them out of the oil (we don’t want extra oil in our potatoes) and put them in a big bowl.
- Beat the eggs in another recipient and add salt and the spices you like. I added oregano.
- Pour the eggs to the potatoes and with a spatula mix them well.
- In a pan add oil but not as much as before when cooking the potatoes and onion. We have to add oil but not too much, otherwise you can’t get burned when turning the tortilla. Do not let the tortilla get stuck on your pan. That would be sad and you would eat scrambled tortilla :(.
- Turn the heat on to medium heat and cook it on one side for a couple of minutes. Check with a spatula if it is getting stuck on the pan. If it does, don’t panic! Try to scratch it from the pan and when the sides of the tortilla seem cooked and the bottom too, then use a flat and bigger plate to turn it.
- Put the tortilla back to the pan and cook the other side, if your pan needs a bit of oil pour some. Cook it for a couple of minutes and use the plate to turn it again.
- Serve immediately.
We had tortilla de patatas with “pan con tumaca” (bread spread with fresh tomato, salt and olive oil) for dinner and my husband had it with some ham.
Enjoy it! Please I would love to see your tortilla recipes.
XOXO Pink Maple